Thursday, January 15, 2009

crafty mama

I grew up spending many a weekend riding in the back of our family van with my childhood friend Anna, our mom's crafts piled around us, headed to some craftshow or other.  Despite my mom's patient (w/ my oh-so-unpatient-self) lessons,  I've never been very "crafty" when it came to a sewing machine.  

However, that has all changed! :D  Thanks to some inspiration from hip-crafty friends (Anna, Mary, Emily, Marianne), I've taken up a needle and thread...or two!  And I'm so excited about it!  It all started with a quilt for sis-in-law Julie and took off from there.  Although I still can't quite sew a straight line (sorry Mom!), I owe all my early beginnings and interests to my mom...and of course Mrs. Simone.  :)

I know machine quilting is considered "cheating"... but I'm a big fan of groovy swirls... and, um, of how quickly it can be accomplished! ;)

A baby blanket for a friend's little girl. :)

I've made a few of these now... and can never quite seem to remember how I did the one before!  Needless to say they're all a little different... but hopefully keep little ones entertained in restaurants and such.  (Thanks to Em for posting one she made for her little boy.  I'm a total copycat!)


I made these pillowcases for Maria - my first dabble in cross stitch/embroidery.  They're super special to me b/c Mom found them with my Maw Maw's stuff... not started but with colors picked out (that were perfect for M's room!).  Apparently Maw Maw's sister had sent them to her to work on, but neither of them ever got around to it.  Neat, uh?


Since then, I kinda just make things up to do (I'm not the best at following directions, grr)... little notecards and such. :)  Did you know you can sew on paper?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up! They look great! So does the one you made for Kaylie! She loves it, esp since it is "hers". Very cool! And your machine quilting, though it may be cheating (my personal choice) looks AWESOME! Way way better than some of mine even!
p.s. check out creativeruminations.blogspot.com - yes i know it is scrapbooking, but she sews on most of her pages... ideas and such

~mary

Anonymous said...

Toot your horn, girl! I think the pictures don't do the quilt justice! I love looking at it everyday.

AgKB said...

Yea you're craze has definately caught on in my world! Can't wait to finish the project I'm working on now so I can show it off ;). I def keep the cards I get from you guys!! :-D