Monday, February 15, 2010

baking bonanza

Regardless of what they say about typical Virginia winters, our experience has been a cold and snowy one! We're working on week 3 of snow still on the ground!! (Seriously the longest I've ever experienced snow on the ground -excluding college ski trips- is about 6 hours... when I was in the 1st grade!)

Thus, we are learning the art of indoor-winter-play. One of Maria's favorites is any sort of baking/cooking hands on activity... which I'm happy to indulge. It's guaranteed that as soon as I start fixing supper, she will pull her stool up to the counter, begging, "Can I help? Please?! Please!?" It always makes me smile. :) (Although it can get to be a bother when I can't come up with something suitable for her to help with... knives, vegetables, hot stove... errr...)

Here are some pics of our recent baking fun!
Homemade King Cake! Holy sinful goodness! This thing was absolutely delicious... despite my doubts over the recipe. (Thanks Julie! :D) And you can imagine how helpful my little chef was... powdered sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, bread dough!!!! She spent most of her time licking anything she could get her tongue on!!!


I've always enjoyed creating homemade pizzas. Back in San Antonio, one of our good buddies made us a pizza following his Italian grandpa's pizza dough recipe... and canned pizza crust was eternally ruined! He willingly shared the recipe with us (thanks Nick!), and Ree and I had tons of fun making pizza crust! She even made her own little pizza... so fun! :)

(food pictures never look as yummy as they taste, but I had to include it!)


And for good laughs - This was my attempt at heart shaped pancakes for Valentine's Day! This was as good as it got. After my third attempt, when Jon-D asked which side was which... I gave up! lol Anyone had better luck with heart shaped pancakes?!

1 comment:

Sarah Kenney said...

The King's Cake looks sooooo scrumptious! We didn't get around to making our own this year. We did get some pre-made and it had cream cheese inside...hmmmm.

Heart-shaped pancakes! We used to do shapes when the kids were little...we should do it again. Even teens would like that. We had cookie cutters of different shapes. We put them on the griddle and then poured the batter inside of the cutter. Try that and see if it works!