My dear and wise cousin (hi, Penni!) once told me that it is great fun watching your wee ones grow and discovering what they end up considering your family's traditions... It's not always the ones that you set out to establish. And that is so very true!
With a 5 year old in the house this year, the discovery of 'birthday traditions' was very evident. Her excitement over Camille's birthday (and opinions of what needed to happen) was super fun and sweet. First, there is the birthday crown (worn by all for their birthday thus a heartwarming smattering of smudges from different birthday cakes/ice cream/etc)... which is dawned bright and early (or in our case it was not yet so bright but very early!) This was a deliberate tradition and I'm so happy it's stuck.
Last year we added a birthday banner to the birthday crown. Maria helped me in selecting the fabrics... it does make for a fabulous background!
And balloons! Oh for the love of balloons! Dada is the adder of this birthday tradition, and he is usually the one who runs out on 'birthday eve' to fetch them. They are pretty much the favorite 'present' for a full week after the birthday.
Next we come out singing with a birthday present. And, oh dear me, reserving the revealing of the present until after the dawning of the crown and balloons... well, it was nearly too much for a certain 5 year old! She was just too uber excited!
Seeing as we're living a bit far from family there is the opening of mailed in presents. Thanks! It is great fun finding packages at the door and storing them up for the birthday day!
Next there is the birthday breakfast. I failed to realize how important this one was. Maria reminded me. :) However with Dada leaving for school/work at 7a.m. and Maria heading out to school shortly after, it was beyond my abilities to manage the elaborate homemade badijo breakfast. (But apparently I need to get on that for the next birthday!) This year Camille settled for corn muffins, honey, and fruit loops.
Did I mention the honey?!
And then there's the cake! This is great fun for all!!! The birthday girl gets to pick out what kind of cake she would like to make. Camille picked 'pink!' this year and icing that came with sprinkles. She's an accessory girl this one is!
Our special birthday trip post is sure to come along with another birthday post about this sweet TWO year old of mine. (Can you tell I'm on a blogging high? Translated = photo overload for my poor family!)






2 comments:
I love the pictures! And I love that you are on a blogging-high! :)
Thanks, Elizabeth!!! I'm glad to know you stalk via blogs too! ;) I'm always enjoying your's so much. Especially because I'm certain Anne Marie and Maria and Caroline and Camille would all be best buds! It's the whole blog2print notion that made me have to jump back on the bandwagon - it's the only way I can keep track of pics/memories. Thanks for posting about that a few years back!
Post a Comment