Tuesday, February 5, 2013

knitting, snow, and cocoa

Since beginning our journey down the path of kindergarten, friends often ask if I like school, if it's easier with only 2 at home, etc.  

Five months in, I guess I will say that I am adjusted.  I wouldn't go so far as to say that I like it.  Perhaps it's these winter months when it takes an extra 15 minutes or so to move our herd of cats out the door in proper winter layers.  (And, oh, the whining I hear about those layers!)  It quite cramps my last-minute-rush-out-the-door style.  

I enjoy hearing about all the fun of her day.  I love the nostalgia of kindergarten.  But I still struggle with this new structured routine of school.


And is it easier with just 2 at home?  Not for me.  Camilly misses her entertainment.  Maria is chock-full of organized (made up in her head) games and activities for the two of them.  She's also my extra hands when I'm in the middle of cleaning raw chicken, helping our potty trainer make it to the potty - you get the idea - and Lila needs her jukie or some other pacifying.  

I miss our quiet moments (which can be quite rare, she does talk a mile a minute) and namely her imagination.  Therefore, I was quite happy 2 weeks ago when there was a 4 day weekend awaiting us.  On that cold dreary Friday, the Littles were napping.  Maria got out her 'knitting machine' (see the toes below), and we snuggled on the couch with yarn projects in hand.


Then that cold dreary Friday, turned into a bit of snow flurry excitement!


Camille woke and the snow kept falling, so we donned our winter gear for some good winter snow fun.  There is just something perfectly magical about watching snow begin to fall, turning the grayish brown world white, promising good fun for little and big alike.


"It to schweee!"  (It's so chilly.)  I'm so glad I captured this moment.  Camille is a warm weather girl.  She never complains about bumps and bruises, but the cold... She's not a fan.  "It to schwee!" is her daily mantra.  I feel her pain.  It generally takes her a while to enjoy our winter outings.


But Maria?  Well, she just lives for the snow!  She happily laid the first trails, snow angels, and 'mysterious footprints'.


Audrey didn't complain this time either because the snow meant she was allowed to join us in the front, free to run and bite at the snow to her heart's content.  (She usually has to be on a leash when out of the little 'dog run' that is our backyard.  Exceptions must be made on a snow day, don't ya think?)




The beginnings of our first attempt at a snowman.  After our Alaskan friends showed us how it was done, our third attempt was much more successful.  But that's for another post.  In the meantime, it's necessary to remember how to make a snowman Camilly style.


Hot cocoa :: The perfect end to a perfectly gray free-from-school winter day turned magical with a bit of fluffy white snow... and some marshmallow!




No comments: