Sunday, June 9, 2013

in memory :: chirp chirp & red chest


Remember this little nest that we found?  I guess it all started there.  Or maybe it started on one of the first mornings of Spring, when it was really too chilly to have the windows open, but we did anyway.  It was the birds that I was after.  

I needed their song.  I didn't realize how quiet Winter was without their song.  I don't think I've ever noticed them as much as I have this Spring.  I know I haven't.  In an odd way,  with feet firmly planted in the last days of Spring, I'm grateful for Winter.  Grateful that it taught me to appreciate all that has unfolded and bloomed and beckoned to us throughout this Spring.

We've been on a hunt for birds and their nests.  Walking slowly.  Looking up.  I was really hoping to show the girls the beautiful blue of a robin's eggs.  

It was my Maria-girl who found this instead.  A nest filled with 3 baby Robins.  She was out for a walk with Dada and Camilly and saw a Mama-bird fly from the tree.  She had to check it out.  (She's a well trained one, I tell ya. ;D)  They returned to tell me about it (with pictures from Dada's phone; he's a good man), and we immediately had to race back to the nest, sitting low in a little shrubbery of trees.  Despite it being after bedtime.



We returned each morning and evening to check on them.  On one of our visits (and thanks to a tip from a friend), we found this empty nest laying in the grass.  Turned out to be a good thing that we snatched it up.


The very next morning, we found this little injured Robin in our yard.


And I found this happy girl at the breakfast table with a bird.



When he began trying to hop out, they relocated outside.  And she decided she would take all of her meals with Chirp Chirp.  
It's a good thing she did because it was then that she heard a group of bus-waiting kiddos making fun of a baby bird.  (Which still makes me feel so sad -for the kids more than the bird... that they were poking at it rather than watching quietly in awe or seeking help for it.)  She ran inside to tell us.  And it was Dada to the rescue!



Thus Chirp Chirp and Red Chest took up residence in a box in our yard... along with our cat.  And our dog.  It's been an entertaining week to say the least.  

There were huge crocodile tears that first morning.  Thankfully not because of the dog or the cat.  It was because she didn't want to leave her babies to go to school.  Despite my reassurances on raising 3 baby girls, she just wasn't certain I could care for baby birds.  :)  


Eventually (as happens in Virginia) the week turned rainy (which I love).  This trail of rain coats and rain boots - at 6a.m. - made me smile.  

Eventually, it occurred to me that we should not be feeding the teeny tiny birds birdseed and that we always find worms when planting new flowers.  It was the middle of the school day, so off I went to dig up some worms.  I had forgotten how much fun that can be.  I became the worm-digger.  She was the bird-sitter.  They couldn't be left alone.




As you might be able to tell, we went from one bird to two birds, then back to one bird.  Chirp Chirp - who had an injured wing - only made it through two nights.  We had discussed what might happen and while sad, it was mostly okay.  Afterall he was injured, and we did still have Red Chest.  

On Saturday morning, I found Red Chest (snuggled with the little blue dog we gave him as a lovey) had left us too.  It was a rough morning filled with more than a few real tears.  We were really excited about raising a baby bird.  We were already looking forward to seeing him fly from our yard.  We had worked hard to feed and shelter and comfort him.  We had shared him with all of our neighbors.


We buried Red Chest next to Chirp Chirp at the feet of our Mama Mary statue.  She asked me to take pictures.  We learned about death, and more about prayer, and more about life.  We learned the value of life... even in a tiny bird.



My heart swells with gratitude.  

Gratitude for a God who takes the time to teach this Mommy that He will bring nature to us... even when we only have a 'back area'.  For a God who provides gentle lessons to my girl about life and love and just how precious it is.  For a God who opens our hearts and breaks them and heals them.  The little conversations Ree and I shared, the responsibilities, the moments of prayer, the questions...  All such important life lessons that I could've never provided.  I stand in awe of our Maker... who takes such tender care of the flowers and birds... and us, even in our failings and doubts.



2 comments:

Isabel said...

Such a sweet blog! And the boys loved sharing the stories about the birds (and the worms!). What precious life lessons are around us every day.

AgKB said...

So caring for baby birds was definitely more difficult than 3 girls, right!? ;) Love Love Love this post- such a hard but sweet lesson you were able to help teach with the situation and such beautiful words.